Associate Professor of Music
- Box 90665, Durham, NC 27708-0665
059 Mary Duke Biddle Building, Box 90665, Durham, NC 27708
- Phone: (919) 660-3361
Called “spellbindingly beautiful” (Steve Smith, Time Out New York), "hypnotic...eerily beautiful" (Vivien Schweitzer, The New York Times), and "fascinating" (Philip Clark, The Guardian), the work of composer John Supko (b. 1980, NY) explores intersections: chance and intention; traditional music notation and real-time score generation; sound and spoken text; installation and performance; human and computer creativity. In recent years, Supko has been developing generative software to navigate his vast archives of field recordings, sampled acoustic and digital instruments, noise, and voice recordings. He uses this software to find unexpected compositional possibilities as well as to create dynamic sonic environments that are integrated into live performance with human musicians. Supko has also been experimenting with new forms of documentation for his music. Works such as A Free Invention for George Pitcher exist solely as software that ‘performs’ a new version of itself each time it is activated. He is a recipient of the Fulbright (2002) and Georges Lurcy (2007) fellowships, both for Paris, France, where he studied at the Ecole Normale de Musique. He has won numerous prizes and grants, among them the BMI Student Composer Award, two ASCAP/Morton Gould Young Composers Awards (including the 2008 Leo Kaplan Award), the Grand Prize of the National Young Composers Competition, the Perkins Prize of the Princeton University Music Department and a Commissioning Music/USA Meet the Composer commission. His work has been published in collaborative editions with the poet Philippe Denis by Collection Mémoires (Paris) and by Harpo & (Marseille), and has been released on the New Amsterdam and Cotton Goods labels. His 2014 collaborative album s_traits (with Bill Seaman) was named in "Best of 2014" recording lists in The New York Times and The Boston Globe. Currently the Hunt Family Assistant Professor of Music at Duke University, where he co-directs The Emergence Lab with Bill Seaman, Supko holds degrees from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music (BM) and Princeton University (PhD).
Ph.D., Princeton University 2009
M.F.A., Princeton University 2005
B.Mus., Indiana University at Bloomington 2002
Awards and Honors
Hunt Family Publication Award. Duke University., 2013
Hunt Family Assistant Professorship. Duke University., 2012
Nomination for the Art Mentor Foundation Commission. Lucerne Symphony Orchestra, Lucerne Switzerland., 2009
Leo Kaplan Award - ASCAP/Morton Gould Young Composer Award. ASCAP., 2008
- Arts Entrepreneurship. November 19, 2013
- Ravel, Salonen & Sibelius. October 30, 2013
- Stravinsky Lecture. November 7, 2012
- Inland Ocean Talk. October 15, 2012
- Some Aspects of Generative Composition in Max/MSP. October 29, 2011
- John Supko: Recent Works. October 29, 2010
- Understanding Satie's Parade. October 19, 2009
- Understanding Satie's Parade. September 21, 2009
Service to the Profession
- instructor. Master Classes. May 10, 2010
- Supko, JP. (2015, February 12). How I Taught My Computer to Write Its Own Music. Nautilus, (21). (Essay)
- Supko, JP. (2013, December). divine the rest.
- Supko, JP. (2013, November). ALL SOULS (revised & expanded version 2012-2013).
- Supko, JP. (2013, May). A Free Invention for George Pitcher.
- Supko, JP. (2013, March). FLESH.
- Supko, JP, & Seaman, B. (2013). s_traits.
- Supko, JP. (2012, September). VEXED.
- Supko, JP. (2012, August). R!.
- Supko, JP. (2012, July). HIMALAJA.
- Supko, JP. (2012, July). I asked for names of all that is.
- Supko, JP. (2012). ALL SOULS.
- Supko, JP. (2011, November). Drawn Only Once.
- Supko, JP. (2011, October). This City.
- Supko, JP. (2011, September). USINE.
- Supko, JP, & Seaman, B. (2011, February). S_traits.
- Supko, JP. (2010, December). Inland Ocean.
- Supko, JP. (2010, November). Rooms.
- Supko, JP. (2010, May). Straits II (acoustic version).
- Supko, JP. (2010, February). "This Window Makes Me Feel", new version for alto flute.
- Supko, JP. (2009, November). Straits.
- Supko, JP. (2009, April). This River.
- Supko, JP. (2009). Songs of a Landloper.
- Supko, JP. (2007). Littoral.
- Supko, JP. (2007). Dream Cuisine.
- Supko, JP. (2007). Everybody Says Everything.